Wednesday, September 2, 2009

What to doo-doo?

I am at my whits END! Parker is pretty much potty trained except for poopin' on the toilet. The child refuses. Today we sat there for nearly 1 hour. Yes. I am mean. But the boy had just been hiding behind the couch, which is his traditional pooping spot, and I caught him before he began and we ran and I sat him on the toilet. You'd think he would just go, right? Nope!

At first I tried showing him that poop goes in the toilet by dumping it into the toilet. When I ask him where poop goes, he says "in the toilet!" So we've been doing that for a while. Then yesterday, I had him remove his own poopy underwear (thanks for the idea friend) which was supposed to create a huge mess that would completely disgust him and greatly encourage him to go poop in the toilet. But instead, he easily removed his underwear and when he went to dump it into the toilet, it fell on the floor. So then I had him pick that up. Now, that was disgusting. In the end, I helped him, we had a great big poopy smear on the floor. And he still won't poop on the toilet. However, he has not pooped in his underwear yet today. *We'll see after his nap.*

Anyway, I could really use some suggestions. Any ideas on how to get your child to poop in the toilet w/o traumatizing him for the rest of his life?!

6 comments:

Andrea said...

Oh, I so wish I could help! Potty training can be so frustrating. I hope someone gives you some great advice that works like a charm.

Mason Family said...

we are dealing with that one with Ashton- try 2 years of this- it's crap! Cole was the same way. we had to bribe Cole (and we have tried to bribe Ashton, but that hasn't worked). If Parker is motivated by a certain toy or something like that it would be worth trying. Also, I had a friend that would take his son out every day for ice cream that he pooped in the toilet. That went on for a week or 2 then they transitioned to ice cream at home and weened him off of his treat. You could also trying giving him an m&m every time he goes in the toilet. (2 if he poops) Let him look at books when he is there. For a long time we had a bookshelf of potty only books. That was the kicker for Cole, he was able to relax enough to go, but it would be 20 minutes of looking at books before he'd go. Good luck Anna, it will come when he is ready. We have tried the whole cleaning out undies thing and they don't care. Cole even flushed his undies down the toilet one time. Now, if there is an accident, we make our kids do a full load of laundry, sorting to folding and all, so they learn there is more to just taking the dirty ones off. :) hopefully something helps!

Susannah said...

We had the same problem with Maxwell. I just let him go in a diaper. He'd wear undies until he had to poop, then he'd bring me a diaper and do his business. We FINALLY broke this habit with bubble gum balls. We bought a HUGE box from Sam's and he'd get one if he pooped on the toilet. Good luck. It's a hard and frustrating time, but it will happen!
love ya

berry family said...

Trust me one day it will just click. Anya caught on about a month before Mark was born thank goodness. Paker will get it and you will ever wonder why you worried. Good Luck!
Rashelle

Anonymous said...

Both of the boys were difficult in this area. For Joshua, it was the day I threw his poopy Batman underwear down the portapotty and he could see them down there. Never pooped his pants again and doesn't seem too traumatized. :-) For Caleb, it seemed to be more of a physical thing...a sitting position on the toilet was uncomfortable for him to get all those muscles working. So, we tried feet on the seat and squatting until he got the hang of it. Good luck! Lisa

Suzie Koskella said...

JAcob is the exactly same way! I have tried everything! Buying him a toy and he can only play with it if he goes in the potty! The toy is still in the box! How is it going for you!