Sunday, May 23, 2010

Lookin' good in the neighborhood!

Happy Sunday! After church, this is how we dressed for comfort and warmth! I seriously have the heat cranked up to nearly 80 and I am freezin' my hiney off--even w/ the toe socks on! So, if you're feeling down, just think to yourself, "At least I don't dress like a bum!"


Or, if you do dress like a bum and still feel lousy, here's a picture of my latest cooking disaster. Actually, this is a picture of my failed attempt at rescuing my pan that resulted from a cooking disaster. Let's just say, I burn a lot of stuff. My excuse is that I get distracted. It's true. I just get busy doing other things and forget. The last incidence was boiling chicken. I left it on the stove while we went out to do some yard work and I even smelled it burning. However, I simply thought someone else was burning their food--for about 20 minutes! Yes. Finally, I remembered I was cooking food and ran in to find it completely scorched. com.plete.ly.
Then I tried to save my pan. That's where this picture comes in. First, I soaked the pan w/ a baking soda paste for about 4 days. That wasn't working, so I added water to it and boiled it for about an hour. That wasn't working. So then I added vinegar and thought I'd boil that for about an hour. HA! Apparently, boiling vinegar evaporates extraordinarily quickly! This is the result and I'm afraid it is unsalvagable. Unless anyone has a way to save a twice-scorched pan. Anyone?
Parker's birthday was a week ago and we had so much fun celebrating! He is such a sweety and I loved how excited he got this year.

The night before his birthday, he helped me make his cake. Yummy! I am the absolute worst cake decorator in the world, but there is a solution to that: have the birthday kid decorate their cake. Genius! (I think my cousin gave me that idea). He had so much fun and loved the cleanup!
New church clothes made up about half his presents. The boy has been growing like a weed. He really needed some new ties and when I was measuring him to repurpose an old tie, he asked if he could have a bow tie. A bow tie?! Oh, heck yes! Here's the handsome man! He loved it and he wore it ALL day!
This Mr. Potato Head was his favorite toy! In this picture, he's sitting under the table...in his underwear and his bow tie! So cute!

I love this little man! He brings so much laughter and happiness into our home! The world is a better place w/ him here!

7 comments:

The Whirling Dirvish said...

Oh my goodness! That is one burnt pan! The only idea I have is oven cleaner. It's nasty and smells bad, but it usually works pretty well. I love Mr. Parker's bow tie. So handsome! I get distracted when I'm cooking too, you're not alone! :)

Unknown said...

I am so thankful that I am not the only one who has forgot that I was cooking!! LOL! I can't tell you how many times I have done that lately!! Wow.. your kids are growing up too fast and are so beautiful!!

Amber

Evan and Jamie said...

So sad we missed his birthday!! We love/miss that kid! I am horrible at b-day cakes too!! Carsyn and Chase have both decorated theirs before too!! The tie is too cute, might just have to make one for Chase too! Miss you guys so much!

Glen and Rachel said...

I wanted to tell you how awesome I thought his bowtie was at church :) Nothing cuter than a cute boy in a bow tie!

Andrea said...

Good thing I read this blog and remembered that I have food on the stove. Thanks for the reminder!

Sawdust Girl said...

I scortched a batch of rhubarb-berry jam and thought my pan was ruined. My neighbor told me to boil water with dish soap in it. I used a wooden spoon and a sponge and scrubbed it with the super hot soapy water. It finally came clean. It's worth a try if you didn't already throw it out.

Sawdust Girl said...

Can I re-spell scorched?