Saturday, February 6, 2010

I have a new best friend!

That's right! The doctor and I are chums! We like to hang out at least once a week, if not more.



It all started when Parker swallowed a bell just 2 weeks ago. It was a Christmas bell that I was letting him play with because I had no idea he would put it in his mouth and swallow it!


I wasn't sure if it was a big deal or not since it had the little loop on top and the sharper edges. So I called the doctor's office to see if we needed to see anyone and she highly recommended that we take him in, but since they had no openings she told us to go to the ER. Really? Okay.

We went to the ER and they were so great! They were so kind w/ Parker and they rushed him through. The place was pretty busy and we were out of there within 2 hours. They did X-rays and did see the bell so I got the super task of searching through..his...hmmm...poop. *Seriously, I feel like every other post on here is about poop*.

Well, a week went by and I still had not seen it. And as disgusting as it was, I swear I was diligent because I'm kind of freaky about those things. So I made an appointment w/ his doctor, they did another X-ray and there was no bell. Hooray! But that also means that I was probably searching at least 4 days longer than I needed to. Sweet.

Last weekend both the kids were sick. Sunday we stayed home and I am so glad because they were so emotional *I'm not sure where they get that?;)* I just had to laugh (in a very loving and motherly way, of course). It was either that or get mad. They were finally better on Wed. Then last night Parker experienced some extreme pain and I suspected a ruptured ear drum. He had only slightly complained of ear pain once or twice over the past 2 days and all of a sudden he grabbed his ear and started sobbing. Then after about a minute, he was completely fine. SO, I called the doctor again this morning and we went in. His eardrum definitely did rupture and his other ear was also very inflamed. Now he is on antibiotics.

whew. that was a long story.

Normally we are in very good health. And I know that these experiences greatly pale in comparison with what many people go through. However, these times--even though so minimal--help me to appreciate the health we do have and modern medicine!

p.s. A ruptured ear drum, especially in this instance, normally heals correctly and very quickly on it's own. So Parker should be a-okay!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

My husband and I were just discussing the relatively good health our family enjoys. It is SUCH a blessing!

I have a good friend who is constantly in and out of the ER. It is astonishing. In January she had two children in the hospital at the same time, another child to the ER a couple times, and then a round of pink eye for all 4 children! She met her deductible in the first two weeks of the year!

It makes me so thankful for the low-grade fevers and common colds my children get once or twice a year.

p.s. Is it Grandma Walker's patriarchal blessing that says something about her posterity's health? I know there's something, somewhere like that. I always think of it.