Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Apparently even handsaws are dangerous.

 I know this picture doesn't do my wound justice, but just imagine a huge punture in my nail and just to the right of it.  Seriously.  A handsaw did that!  Who knew?

A while back, Parker grabbed a little bow and arrow set from the Dollar Tree.  It did amazingly well considering the quality.  However, yesterday after hours of abuse, all 3 arrows were broken beyond repair.  So me, being the awesome mom that I am, said "Hey, we can make some great arrows that won't break near as easily!"  Can't be hard.  Right? 

Everything was really easy and going pretty well.  I cut two dowels in half to make four arrows.  Then I glued a little pom-pom on the end to prevent any debilitating eye injuries(hopefully).  They looked pretty awesome!
 Then all I needed to do was cut a little notch into the tip for the string to go through.  I thought it seemed simple enough.  The first one went like a dream.  Easy-peasy.
But then on the second one, I cut my pointer finger.  Not too bad, but I realized it wasn't going to be as easy. Well, because I'm such a trooper (or stupid--one of the two), I kept on truckin'.  I finally got that one done.  But on the third one, I had a big slip and honestly, at first, I thought I might have done worse damage because there was a lot of blood flowing.  After I ran it under cold water for a while, though, I could see it wasn't really that bad.  But, dang, it hurt!  So, the fourth arrow has nothing.  I gave up.  Or got smart.  Hopefully it will work.  It seems to work okay when I try it out.  Hopefully it's good enough for four-year-old hands.

Lesson learned: handsaws are really sharp.  Yikes!

No comments: