Thursday, September 22, 2011

Couch Potato

This girl is definitely not a couch potato (just to clarify).
 Paige is slightly obsessed with ballerinas.  She is constantly asking for ballerina music! 
 (Don't you love the finger up the nose?)
 Every now and then she can convince Parker to dance with her!
 It is blackberry season here in the Northwest!  Any chance we get, we head out to pick them.  They are slow coming on because of the crazy funky weather, but I hope we get to pick more!
(Notice the funky picture?  Again, my camera is going psycho)

We were so blessed to get a great deal on pears when we went over to Idaho.  I attempted to can some, but it was sooooo time consuming.  So I decided I would just dry them all and I did it in the most lazy way possible.  I just washed the fruit in water and baking soda.  Rinsed it.  Then I sliced the fruit off of in thin strips all around the core. 

 Threw them in a mixture of water and lemon juice to prevent browning.

Of course, I had an amazing and happy helper. 


 Then we just layered the slices onto our drying trays.  Most of them were sufficiently dried in about 16 hours (our dryer is not the most efficient piece of machinery, but it does the job).
 And then more pictures of the couch, because I do love it!  
For those who didn't hear the amazing news...
 I got this couch for...
 $10.45.  That's right!  I hit the jackpot.  It is in amazing condition! 
 Now my biggest problem has been finding the right fabrics to incorporate it into our home. 
 My life would be so much simpler if I went with a matchey-matchey set like this one (which I actually love).
Why do I make my life so complicated?
Oh, I know why...because I am a good-deal-lovin'-kind-of-gal (aka cheapskate)!

 So far, I've narrowed the materials down to this (below).  The lighting is hor-rib-le.  But basically the large pieces of material will be throw pillows, and I'm contemplating using a fabric similar to that small swatch of fabric for my curtains.  I am wanting something a little more geometric, but haven't quite found what I love.  There will be a few other surprises (that I don't even know yet) because that's how I decorate.  I just kind of do it as I go.  
Can I just say...I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING!  
Yikes.
And home decorating scares the heckers out of me because I feel so permanently bound to it because of the money I put into it...(again, not a lot, but still--I'm cheap)
So if any of you fantastically skilled friends of mine have some suggestions, let me know.

Until I get it all figured out, I'll just be chillin' on the couch because, besides being a super-duper-amazing deal, it is super comfortable!

5 comments:

Evan and Jamie said...

Holy Cow--We miss you guys!! Your house looks so cute!! I LOVE the couch and the color! The first material hanging over the couch is my fav-fyi! haha Decorating on the cheap is by far my fav! It's super addicting and then I feel like I can redo everything on a regular basis because it doesn't cost much! lol poor Evan! The kids are beautiful and so big! Wish our kiddos --and the big kiddos--could still hang out! It looks like we might miss your move over here by a month or two! URRRR

Camille said...

I can't believe how big your kids are looking! It hasn't been THAT long has it? I love the new couch, and all the fabrics you have chosen to pick from...I wish I had a knack for decorating on the fly like that, but I'm not good at it. Anyway, can't want to see what you come up with!

Lena said...

Okay, so i went to my favorite fabric site to see if I could be the "save the day-er" and find you a super cute geometric gray. There were a couple, and most can be seen here: http://quilthome.com/advanced_search_result.php/search_in_description/1?keywords=ty+pennington&x=0&y=0

I love the fabrics and colors. I will only make one suggestion...I love the colors on the sofa, but all of the white might be really difficult to keep clean. You don't want to spend the money (and most important, the time) recovering it, only to find that it is a headache to keep looking nice. Kids throw-up, and poop, and are just dirty, and I personally hate having the additional job of "couch police" added to my plate. Perhaps the more Neutral gray geo print would be better (hide stuff better and you can change your entire color scheme in 5 years if you want, and still keep the couch as is!)

Maybe I am too practical. I just wish I had a practical woman steering me away from our super cute WHITE chaise! Like--hello? what were we thinking?
ps-we finally sold our chaise on craig's list this last year. Schew! What a relief!

Andrea said...

Wait, so are you recovering the couch itself, or just doing throw pillows? Because, as tempting as it might be, do NOT recover a large piece of furniture in a print. A chair is fine, but not a couch. You may love it for a while, but guaranteed (especially if you ever get pregnant and have to lay on it for an extended amount of time) you will HATE it eventually. And recovering is expensive. I'd recover it in a textured gray, if you are recovering it. If not (or if you do a solid), all those fabrics would work for throw pillows. And, as Lena so deftly pointed out, don't do anything in white. It's gorgeous for a day or so, but it starts looking dingy and cheap in no time flat. Can you tell I have opinions on home decor? Sheesh. I'll shut my trap. Except to say that if you find any really great geometric prints, I want your source names!

Parley and Anna said...

Clarification: I am not recovering the couch. I love the green (for now)! Plus, it shows no messes...a HUGE plus! Thanks for the great ideas Lena; I'm so glad you told me about quilthome. And I did find exactly what I was looking for (I hope) at Carousel Designs http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=c80a418b-aeaa-4906-92b7-0fbc1e7f1a26&CategoryID=2d142de6-2b9a-4417-95a8-9b4143954468 I was hoping for a Gray Chevron and this is it. It was surprisingly difficult to find that. Maybe it's a sign that chevron is out, and something else is in. But there were also some great fabrics on fabric.com and quilthome.com (the one Lena mentioned. Just google geometric fabric and you'll get a ton of sources.