We all have bad days. Sometimes Life hands us situations we feel we just aren't ready for. Or sometimes we don't get those things we think we really need. And sometimes, Life gives us something we've handled before but then multiplies it by a thousand. Those moments, those days, those weeks, those months, and maybe even those years will happen to all of us.
But why are some people more resilient than others?
I would like to propose an answer that will be quite obvious to most of you. Yet, I believe, it might come as quite a surprise to some.
The answer...optimism.
Optimism.
Definition from The Free Dictionary:
op·ti·mism
n. 1. A tendency to expect the best possible outcome or dwell on the most hopeful aspects of a situation: "There is a touch of optimism in every worry about one's own moral cleanliness" (Victoria Ocampo).
Just the recently I came to the realization that I was not the optimistic person I considered myself to be. I found myself dwelling on the negative things that my children were doing. I found myself frustrated with the spousal separation that our livelihood necessitates at this time. I found myself being judgmental of others.
However, I am not alone with this problem. I see it all around. I see it in people I love and care about. It has become so commonplace to see the negative--even to seek the negative. And I have realized that it is nearly impossible to avoid the trap unless we make a conscious effort.
Do you remember the movie Pollyanna? She liked to play the "Glad Game" which consists of finding something to be glad about in those less-than-desirable situations. One of my primary goals for this year is to implement the Glad Game. Specifically, I will look for the good during those times of frustration or disappointment; I will look for the good in all those whom I associate with; and I will only speak kindly of and to others.
It is said that happiness is contagious. You better watch out, because I'm going to be spreading the germs!
But why are some people more resilient than others?
I would like to propose an answer that will be quite obvious to most of you. Yet, I believe, it might come as quite a surprise to some.
The answer...optimism.
Optimism.
Definition from The Free Dictionary:
op·ti·mism
n. 1. A tendency to expect the best possible outcome or dwell on the most hopeful aspects of a situation: "There is a touch of optimism in every worry about one's own moral cleanliness" (Victoria Ocampo).
Just the recently I came to the realization that I was not the optimistic person I considered myself to be. I found myself dwelling on the negative things that my children were doing. I found myself frustrated with the spousal separation that our livelihood necessitates at this time. I found myself being judgmental of others.
However, I am not alone with this problem. I see it all around. I see it in people I love and care about. It has become so commonplace to see the negative--even to seek the negative. And I have realized that it is nearly impossible to avoid the trap unless we make a conscious effort.
Do you remember the movie Pollyanna? She liked to play the "Glad Game" which consists of finding something to be glad about in those less-than-desirable situations. One of my primary goals for this year is to implement the Glad Game. Specifically, I will look for the good during those times of frustration or disappointment; I will look for the good in all those whom I associate with; and I will only speak kindly of and to others.
It is said that happiness is contagious. You better watch out, because I'm going to be spreading the germs!

6 comments:
Anna, I think you are3 right. We all feel like we are handed the worst of the worst, but it is choice as to what we do with it. I have tried to take those people out of my life that aren't being the best positive influence over the years. Sometimes it's hard to remove them or put them at a distance, but for my sanity and happiness it was needed. :) Thanks for sharing what your goal is. I think we could all use a reminder that we control our happiness, not our finances, careers, education, etc. It's within us and there is ALWAYS a positive in our lives even when we can't see it. :)
Anna, I admire you and the way you can express in words what I feel. I enjoy reading your posts and then try to use your nice words in my everyday life. THANK YOU!!!!
What a wonderful post, Anna! You are already such an amazing example to those around you and you do have a sunny disposition. We love you guys and thank you for your sweet words on your blog.
Amber
This is great advice...happiness is contagious and we should all be more happy and look for the positive things in life. Good reminder Anna banana!
Hmmm, I've always thought of you as WAY too cheerful and optimistic anyway! ;) It's one of my favorite things about you. You're always a mood lifter. But then again, it has been awhile since I've seen you. :D Good luck on this resolution, it's a good one!!
Anna - I have been wanting to comment on this post - but got busy.... I just want to say that you truly are one of the most cheerful, happy, content, optimistic people I know - SERIOUSLY- your smile is contagious - and you always point out the good in others and all the things going on around you and in your own life - I have always appreciated this about you - and love you for it!!!
keep it up! love you!!!
Post a Comment