I'm not completely crazy.
Along with the success of the sweets strike, I have become a bit more domesticated and it feels lovely! For the first time, I used a pressure canner all by myself. Kind of. I did call my sweet mother (love you Mom!) 12 times (I counted) within about 2 hours. I should have paid more attention when she tried to teach me before. But now I have 8 pints and 5 quarts of chicken on my storage shelves and yesterday I canned 10 quarts of pinto beans! It was so fun in a strange slave-yourself-away sort of way! Really it's not that bad, I'm just paranoid that the thing is going to explode so I feel like I get hardly anything done while I'm watching the pressure for 1 1/2 hours. But it is worth it! And I'm sure I'll get better. I joke about becoming a "domestic diva" but it really is satisfying to do things that contribute so positively to our home! I love it!
**chicken does not look very appetizing when canned. sorry**Next came a little relaxation and education. Last night, Parley volunteered to watch the kids plus the kids of my friend so that we could go to a performance of The Screwtape Letters. We had such a great time and I was reminded of how much I love the book! The performers (only 2) were amazing and incredibly talented and my friend and I both had a great time, but I think we both agree that the book is the best, by far! If you haven't read it, please do: The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis.
And this post will feature Parker. He is into eating the peels of oranges and grapefruits. Weird. But he is so cute doing it, we had to catch a couple shots!

4 comments:
You are on a sugar strike? I want in. I've been meaning to try a sugar elimination for a while but I can't quite find the stamina to do it alone and I won't force Freddie into joining me. I'm inspired to try anew knowing that you're doing it too.
Keep up the good work!!! That is a huge thing! I am going on 6 weeks now myself... the longer you go the easier it gets! I have found some amazing, yummy and good for you replacements... Agave and Truvia.
You are an inspiration to me and others!! Take care.
Now I'm super hating that I don't live by you! I've had my pressure canner for 2 years and am scared to death to use it!! I NEED to can my pizza sauce and my refried beans, but not really wanting an explosion!! You're awesome! And I"m totally with you on canned chicken! It kind of scares me! Miss you!
Okay, so you mentioned you had a blog and then I saw your name on Lee's blog...I'm totally a stalker. ;) Way to go with the sugar thing! I need to read that book and cut out the sweets too. And your domesticatedness (it's a word, I'm sure) is an inspiration.
Post a Comment