Here's what I've read so far:
- January-Supernanny, by Jo Frost *recommended by Ashley Walker Reno. My favorite sections in this book were about eating and discipline. Most of it is very common sense, but sometimes we get fed so much rubbish that it's easy to forget the common sense! If you live near me and want to borrow it, feel free!
- February-1984, by George Orwell *I strongly disliked this book. Perhaps, I just did not understand the full meaning of it. Enlighten me, if you can, please!
- March-Babywise, by Robert Bucknam and Gary Ezzo *okay, okay...I know this book is super controversial, but I love it! The biggest complaint I've heard about it is that people who follow the guidelines "starve" their children. However, multiple times in the book, it states "if your baby shows signs of hunger, feed them." I do not follow everything in this book, but I think it has some great counsel for nursing mothers and supportive fathers. However it is great even for people who don't nurse. If you like the demand-feed approach, you probably won't like it. If you're a schedule person, as I am, you will like this book! *read before, but wanted to read again*
Also read, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, by Marc Weissbluth. This is by far my favorite book. It is very scientifically based and has more flexibility for different types of parents. If your child has trouble sleeping through the night, read this book! I love it! *read before, but wanted to read again* p.s. Paige started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks, and Parker at 8 weeks and I followed the counsel, for the most part, found in these 2 books--could be luck. could be the strategy. could be a little of both!
But my real book for this month is Why Marriages Succeed or Fail, by John Gottman. This is a book that I read in college that had some great info in it, so I decided to read it again. Gottman has done lots of scientific research based on physiological responses during conflict and how that can affect our marriages. In this book, he talks about warning signs and what you can do to strengthen your marriage. This is not your every day marriage book; it is not entertaining, but it is great!
- April-I plan on reading Bringing Up Boys, by James Dobson
But after April is where I need your help. I love nonfiction self-help type books (if you haven't noticed the trend), but I also love a good fiction book. Favorite fiction books are Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice and To Kill a Mockingbird.
So tell me about your favorite books that you think I would like--fiction or nonfiction! However, please don't recommend Twilight. I have no reason for not wanting to read it except for the fact that everybody is reading it. Maybe I'll read it in a few years. Then again, maybe not.

6 comments:
So happy to find another non-Twilight-reader! John Gottman, oh my! He is amazing, no? We read "The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work." I am not a self help reader, but my husband and I LOVED that book, and think everyone should read it (we had to read it for one of my husband's classes in grad school). I agree with your judgment of 1984! I read it in my HS literature class and it was the first thing I had ever read that I absolutely hated. All the other HS lit. classics are great - check those out, if you haven't already read them all!
In my book club, we just read the Orson Scott Card books, "Women of Genesis" - there are three of them (Sarah, Rebekkah, and Ruth?). I only read two, cause my library doesn't have the third. They were good. I don't know what you like, but "A Thousand Splendid Suns" is a high-ranking one for me (it's not a fluffy, happy book, but good). "The Secret Life of Bees" was good, too.
Sorry to write a novel (maybe you can count this comment as your April book...), but I love this subject and could go on and on!
Good luck! Let me know what you end up reading. I'm always on the look-out for good books!
I hate 1984 too!! I thought it was awful!! I think I might read Babywise too now if you liked it!! We'll see how it goes!
That's funny that you didn't like 1984. I LOVED it. I read it for a book club, and most of the women didn't see how it was relevant for now. However, I thought it is very relevant. I just read "Shadow of the Workhouse." It takes place in England, and I thought it was pretty good. Another good read is "Life and Death in Shanghi." Those are just some that I've really enjoyed, and think you might like too. You are a girl after my own heart--reading wise.
Hi Anna, Megan here... I would recommend Life of Pi, by Yann Martel. It is one of my favorite books...I tried to get Cory to read it with me but he is not to big on reading so we had to put an end to that but it is really good. I also really like Poisonwood Bible (forgot the author). Good goal! I am inspired!
Alright-as requested...I have been reading Finding the Angel Within by Pamela H. Hnasen and And They Were Not Ashamed by Laura M. Brotherson. They are both great books. I would highly recommend both of them. I am actually going to look for Running with Angels so I can start reading that next. I hope you are doing well. Love ya.
HAHA Big brother is all around us today!! I can't believe you hated that book!! Oh...Anna...me and you are going to have to have a little chat about this one!! LOL
Post a Comment